Match report

Oban U16s 22 – 24 Biggar

Oban U16s 22 Biggar 24

Two evenly matched teams fought out an exciting 8 try thriller at Glencruitten on Sunday.

Oban scored the opening tryb of the match on 6 minutes from a well worked lineout catch and drive resulting in powerhouse hooker Franeck Kupczak crashing over the line 5-0.

On 10 minutes influential No8 Cameron Crowe broke from a scrum to feed scrum half Donald MacCormick, who in turn found winger Freddie Johnson to race over for Oban’s 2nd try, 10-0.

From another well worked lineout on 22 minutes, the ball was moved to inside centre Daniel Campbell who set the ball up in midfield from where Donald MacCormick broke the Biggar defensive line to offload to supporting fly half Joe Corns who scooted over for Oban’s 3rd try 15-0.

Biggar finally breached Oban’s stubborn defence on 25 minutes for their first try 15-5.

5 minutes later tenacious flanker Hamish Macintyre took a quick penalty which then saw great interplay between Macintyre, Crowe and MacCormick resulting in Macintyre crashing over for a try which he converted 22-5.

Biggar scored the final try of the first half to make the half time score 22-10.

Biggar started the second half in determined fashion, attacking Oban from all angles but Oban’s defence held firm with aggressive defence from Full Back Dougie Brown and wingers Conan Burns and Freddie Johnson.

Eventually Biggar took advantage of their pocession to score a converted try 22-17.

The remainder of the game remained attritionl with both defences holding firm until Biggar scored a converted try with the final play of the game 22-24.

This was an encouraging performance for our first game of the season led by man of the match Hanish Macintyre.

The coaches were pleased with the effort that the boys put in from start to finish and encouraged with how the boys adapted to their first game of full lineouts and mauls.

If the team continue to play like this they should have a good season.

Big thank you to Willie Malone for stepping in to referee the match and to the senior players for cooking post match food and parents helping out in the kitchen also.

Next game is Sunday 3rd September away to Hamilton.