Match report

Dalziel 16s 10 Oban 16s 57

October 22, 2023

On a perfect day and perfect pitch Oban 16s resumed their season after a 3 week break.

The long journey and lack of rugby manifested itself with numerous knock ons and penalties in a scrappy start to the game.

Oban took the lead on 5 minutes after a length of the field break by from scrum half Donald MacCormick saw him brought down close to the Dalziel try line, good ruck speed enabled Fly Half Joe Corns to break down the blind side to send the speedy Arran Martin over to score 5-0.

The scrappy start to the continued with constant penalties and knock ons disrupting the flow of the game leading to Dalziel first try 5-5.

On 28 minutes a trademark Josh Olds turnover saw Hamish Macintyre smash his way through 3 opposition defender before passing onto Martin to score his second 5-10.

Oban were now beginning to get their off loading game going with second row Fergus Bennett making a 40m charge upfield before offloading to Macintyre who then exchanged passes with Corns before powering over for his first try of the day, converted by Martin 5-17.

Second half

Oban continued to play a fast open style of rugby and Macintyre crossed the line again after 5 minutes, converted by Maclennan 5-24.

This was soon followed by Oban’s 6th and best try which was initiated by the strong running of centre Daniel Campbell beating 3 players before setting up a ruck from which MacCormick quickly moved the ball to Corns whose inside pass found rampaging captain Franeck Kupczak who raced in from half way to score with Maclennan converting 5 – 31.

Oban were now in total control and quick Jackaling by Corns saw the ball moved to Franeck Kupczak who then showed the more subtle side to his game with perfectly weighted pass to Conan Burns, whose 30m run was followed by 2 quick rucks and Archie Johnston scoring a well deserved try converted by Maclennan 5-38.

Next up a fantastic improvised overhead kick from MacCormick resulted in a scrum close to the Dalziel line, from.which the ball was moved to Corns to dummy his way over for a score, converted by Maclennan 5-45.

Dalziel scored the next try 10-45 but normal service was immediately resumed with MacCormick putting Macintyre in for his hat trick converted by Maclennan 10-52.

The final play of the game saw Toby Wilson making a driving run from a lineout before passing onto Maclennan who made good ground before passing to Macintyre who kicked ahead, tackled the defender and regathered the ball before scoring his 4th of the game 5-57.

A pleasing performance considering the 3 week break and lack of training leading up to the game.

Lots of notable performances including half backs MacCormick and Corns, centres Campbell and Martin, a hard working back row of Olds, Macintyre and Johnston and some great driving runs from Bennett and Wilson.

However, coaches man of the match goes to captain Franeck Kupczak who led from the front with his strong running, support play and his ever improving pass selection.

Special mention also to all the boys that played for both teams when the opposition had a few injuries and to David Simpson for a promising debut.

Next Sunday the team face Cartha/Cambuslang at home.